I can't believe I have only posted 3 times in 2017, and it's already February 2018!
Honestly in January, I didn't think about any new year resolutions - I knew I could probably come up with a list of the should-have goals but I didn't think too much about it during that time because I was really caught up in my eldest brother's wedding.
Oh ya my brother got married last month - and I went back to give my blessings, of course. I probably got a lot more money as a younger brother compared to my other siblings. My eldest brother sneaked a 'double' red packet during the 'tea-drinking' thingy. I think my family low key loves me a lot, but they never say it, which I start to find it weird and unacceptable. I found western culture has a better way of strengthening relationships between people, especially with our family. I remember getting down my flight and gave my parents a hug and kisses on their faces, and everyone's looking at me like wtf. (But they can fuck themselves and suck it up. And be mature.)
Last term was really busy - I've no idea how many times I've used that phrase "really busy" in my recent blogposts. I had 4 modules, and assignments and projects and write-ups came up one after another. I also co-founded an international bioscience student association last summer, which took up another portion of my time working on the launching event.
We just had another Bio-entrepreneurial event last weekend, which was really insightful. I was so contented because the commercial director of one of the UK governmental agencies came and provided new insights and supports for start-ups based on synthetic biology. When I say start-ups that I'm interested in joining, I'm referring to those that involve actual products/technologies, not those that are based on apps, apps, and apps. IDK why so many people are swayed towards direction - I'm not saying the market's saturated. I personally can't think of any interesting ideas for an app besides a virtual bank service and that's not at all. We need disruptive products/services in order to extend the potential of the app world. And I think with what we have now, we are reaching a saturated start-up world. Just my two cents. I prefer a novel product with or without apps - because phone generally dies in terms of performance and installing apps just turns me off really quickly. The director told me that viable ideas would bring me an entrepreneurial visa in UK, which is not unprecedented. This may be a way for me to stay away from working in Malaysia. YEAH basically Malaysia is cool for vacation only really.
Back to my new year resolution...
1. Getting a summer bod ready for summer islands
I had something similar last year. And I think I performed pretty well - I've been hitting the gym very regularly 2-3 times a week since before my university started. It's been almost two years! I still remember the first time going to the gym closest to my house with my friend and ended up with a sore back, arms and thighs the other day. At the beginning, it was tough - I just wanted to spend less than an hour in the gym. My target was 20 minutes cardio + some weightlighting and machines. And to think now I have been spending 3 hours in the gym is insane!!! Time goes so fast in the tiny little place. So this year's plan is a summer bod ready really. Technically I have 4 months more - that's crazy.
2. Getting an internship
I was so stressed about internship last year. During the summer, I searched all over the internet to look for ANY research internships - I logged them into an Excel Spreadsheet, I kept it opened all day everyday! I was so stressed I couldn't sleep last term, fearing that I would never had the summer laboratory experience which leads to weak application which leads to no PhD which leads to being jobless in Malaysia. GUESS WHAT! Last week I received a GREAT news - I have secured a place in a global research programme in NTU, they are even giving me $3000 to spendddd omg (I am so ready to get a TAG HEUER now that everyone has one). SO I'm gonna say I've achieved one of my goals already! CRY. Honestly let's hope for better offers!
3. Getting into the Dean's list - or at least 1st class I hoped.
Honestly I am not very confident about this. But I'll do my besttt. Maintaining 1st Class should be fine. ohgod
4. Speak better english WITH CONFIDENCE
I know my english has definitely improved by 15-fold in terms of speaking compared to the first week of my uni. I even did like an emcee thingy in my last week's event, which is unbelievable. I can even network with professors in an occasional British accent HAHA. But I definitely seek more confidence in my speaking, and of course a better way of expressing myself.
AND that's it!! Can't really think of anything else really. Am I like a less greedy person now? Hahah.
I realised a change in my blog writing habits now - I stopped saying 'you', and I started saying 'I' - so much more of 'I'. Every time I come back here, this place reminds me of how much growth I've got, and how much better I've become. Surely I'll always come back - to fill myself with love and positive energy. <3 nbsp="" p="">
3>
No comments:
Post a Comment